Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A big scare!

Once again, I'm behind on keeping up with the blog.  This has been like having a newborn again.  There's always something to be done, or researched, or just time spent cuddling her!

However, on Friday, November 2nd, I felt something was wrong as soon as Isabel started eating her dinner.  I quickly took her temperature (which was normal) and listened for gut noises (again, normal).  Suddenly she looked like she was having problems swallowing and I knew immediately it was choke.

Luckily, unlike humans, horses can choke and yet still breathe.

I started massaging her throat and she would swallow hard.  Finally around midnight the issue seemed to resolve.  But still, it was a sleepless night.

I spoke to my wonderful vet and she recommended putting Isabel on 30 cc of Papaya puree three times a day.  It will help sooth her throat and belly.

The next night I fed her dinner again and immediately she choked again.  She quickly turned to me with a look that said "massage my neck please" and I did.  A few hard 'gulps' later and she was fine. 

So now all her feed is soaked until it's drinkable.  And I'm a nervous wreck.

But so far it's done the trick.  Thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment